Get The Help You Need From An Accident Attorney
About Me
Get The Help You Need From An Accident Attorney

My name is Arlene, and two years ago, I was involved in a car accident that wasn't my fault. I had some injuries that required a hospital stay, and I was unable to return to work for several weeks. I didn't know how I was going to pay my bills, and it was very stressful for me. My friend told me that I needed to hire an accident and personal injury attorney so I could recover my lost wages and medical costs. I was so glad that I hired the attorney, and my stress level immediately went down. Through the attorney, I was able to get a settlement, and I was no longer in financial trouble. I am writing this blog to let everyone know the importance of hiring an attorney after an accident. It's my wish that this blog will help others who are in similar situations.

Get The Help You Need From An Accident Attorney

Going to Court for Criminal Charges? Get Familiar with These Legal Terms

Mattie Bennett

If you are facing criminal charges, chances are you have hired a lawyer to help you handle all of the courtroom interaction. However, you don't want to just sit on the sideline and be confused about what is happening. It is important to know about some key legal terms that are going to come up during your court case.


A phrase you'll frequently hear during your court case is, "objection." It's a term that you may already be familiar with from watching legal dramas on television, but you might not be quite sure what it means. A lawyer may call for an objection when they feel like the line of questioning from the opposition is not fair, such as leading questions or questions that have some sort of bias in the answer they are trying to receive. A witness statement can also trigger an objection, especially if they are going off topic or relaying information that they only heard rather than witnessed.


If the judge decides to agree with the objection from the lawyer, they will say, "sustained." This means that the other lawyer must change their line of questioning when talking to a witness. If the witness is giving a statement, then they must restate their response in a way that fits within the guidelines of the court. In general, having an objection sustained means that the judge agrees with the lawyer's complaint and changes must be made.


A judge that disagrees with a lawyer's objection can say, "overruled." The lawyer or witness can continue speaking in the manner that they were since the judge feels like the question or response was in line with proper courtroom procedures.

Move to Strike

A lawyer may request a "move to strike" in response to a statement that was made in the courtroom. This typically happens if a witness gives an answer to a question that they were not asked. While on the stand, witnesses can only respond to questions asked by the legal representatives. It is not an open forum for them to discuss how they feel about the case and give opinions on issues that are irrelevant.

As you can imagine, navigating the terminology of a courtroom setting can be challenging. That is why you really need a lawyer on your side that can help fight your criminal battle in court. They can answer any questions you have about the legal proceedings if you are confused about what is going on. Contact a law firm like Nelson Fromer & Crocco Law Offices to find a lawyer that's right for your case.